Unless you’re an actor or a model and your career hinges mostly on your looks, then you may think that not having a great smile isn’t really a big deal. But it is a big deal, and in fact it can affect your career in more ways than you realize.
It’s for this reason that many people are now consulting with periodontists. The word is out—having a great smile is actually a workplace advantage that you won’t want to miss. Periodontists are specialist dentists who deal with the gum tissue and underlying bone structure, and they can do a lot more for you smile than your regular dentist. They can place dental implants that look and feel like your natural teeth, and they can reduce excess gum tissue surrounding your teeth so you won’t have a gummy smile.
Here are some reasons why having a great smile is crucial for your career:
- Your confidence soars. This is perhaps the most notable advantage of having a periodontist improve your smile. You don’t have to worry about crooked, decayed or missing teeth.
- Because of this, you’re more confident in yourself. That’s noticeable to your coworkers and subordinates, and especially to your superiors and potential clients. Your confidence at work makes people more open to your suggestions and more trustworthy in general. It’s this kind of confidence that’s needed forany job.
- You make other people feel better. One study was actually conducted to confirm that a smile is a mood enhancer for the people around you. People are quite sensitive to the moods of others, and they can tend to mirror what others are feeling. So if you’re confident and you smile at your coworkers and clients, they all feel better because of you. This can help your coworkers work better. People will actually like to be around you, and means you may attract more people as clients. This can lead to better working relationships with both coworkers and clients.
- People will think of you in a more positive light. Everyone knows that having a great smile makes you look a lot more attractive. But that’s not just an advantage for social reasons. It’s also a workplace advantage for you. Looking good and having a great smile makes people around you regard you as more likable. What’s more, many people—including clients and superiors—associate good looks with friendliness, emotional stability, and personal responsibility.
Essentially, people don’t think you’re antisocial, because after all, you care about your looks like a normal person. People also understand that at least you’re maintaining good personal hygiene, because most people seem to think deep down that unattractive people simply don’t care about such things.
These qualities make you more attractive to clients and to superiors who are handing out promotions. Taking good care of yourself mayalso mean that you have a good work ethic.
- People aren’t offended by your bad breath. You can get bad breath with gum disease, did you know that? That’s a huge problem in the workplace, as it can really turn off your clients and coworkers.
So if you really want to succeed in your chosen career path,it helps to fix your smile.If there’s something wrong with it, then a periodontist can recommend the best solutions.